Sunday, January 16, 2011

The Waiting Game


I had been referred to a surgeon in Gig Harbor who was suggested to me by my MD, It didn’t matter how far I had to drive as long as I could communicate with this guy and he would be straight up with me.
The day of the biopsy was scary, he first numbed my breast before he inserted an instrument about the size of a pencil, it made a clicking sound as it took pieces of the tumor to send to pathology. They sent the tissue to pathology on Thursday and told me the results would be back on Monday. What! You can put a man on the moon but I have to wait all weekend to know my results????
The weekend was long; I surrounded myself with my family and tried to pretend I was confident. I knew it was in God’s hands and whatever the outcome was he had a plan for me.
When I made the call on Monday morning I was between classes, I could not make myself concentrate on my work and was becoming more and more frustrated. Of course the receptionist said they will call you back. I waited all day; the call never came, so just before closing time I tried again. Ok by now they had decided I was a nut case that had zero patients and wanted my test results. Then I heard the dreaded words, “we don’t have the results back yet, we will call you tomorrow.” Are you kidding me! I believe I drank some wine that night, in fact, I think I drank a lot of wine that night.
The next morning I decided not to call them, no news is good news right. I kept my phone on at school all day and never received a call; surely they must have the result by now?

1 comment:

Rachel LaBranche said...

Life is "Hurry up and wait" everyday, sigh....