Sunday, January 16, 2011

Labor Day 2010


In the early morning hours of September 5th labor day 2010, something woke me. I looked at my watch and thought to myself, why am I awake? I decided to do some stretches before hoping out of bed, as my hands went above my head and then down to my sides I brushed my hands along the sides of my breast. What the hell was that? I jumped out of bed and ran to the bathroom, I could feel panic setting in, what is this, what is this. I threw off my night shirt and stood looking at my breast in the mirror. My right breast had a lump that I could see poking out the side, where did it come from, why hadn’t I noticed it yesterday? It wasn’t painful, just a big hard lump! It was a holiday and the Breast Center was closed.
I lay on my living room couch for the next hour feeling the lump under my fingers, what was this? It was something different than I had ever felt before, not one of the familiar lumps or fibroids that I had felt in the past. So after a few Google searches on breast lumps I had decided it was just a cyst. I avoided any link that wanted to talk about breast cancer, it was definitely not that! I was sure it was just caused by the bio identical hormones I had been taking to keep the hot flashes at bay and they were all natural so this cyst was just some fluid buildup. I did decide to stop taking the natural hormones at that very moment.
I couldn’t sleep very well that night in anticipation of the call to the breast center the next day. I was up early and waiting for someone to pick up the phone and tell me to come right in for a mammogram. To my surprise when the woman answered the phone and I explained my findings to her, she didn’t at all seem urgent.” My computer says you haven’t been here since 2006 Mary.”We’ll have to get your records from the warehouse and have a doctor on duty for your appointment because you do have a lump. We can see you on Monday next week. I paused, “you mean we can wait that long” sure, it’s probable nothing, 80% of these things are nothing. Boy, was that a relief, so what about my trip to Vegas? She said to go ahead and go and come in on the 21st when I returned. So that’s what I would do

1 comment:

Rachel LaBranche said...

I remember feeling that "lump" It felt like a rock in your boob. Strange how that manifested overnight....or so it seemed....