Sunday, January 16, 2011

Pre Chemo Blood Work


December 20, 2010 was the day to have blood work done to make sure my blood counts were high enough for my second chemo treatment that was to take place on December 22nd,I know just in time for Christmas. Why couldn’t they do my treatment after the Christmas holiday, I would later find out.
After visiting the lab I asked to see the chemo nurse to show her the hives that I had been battling. She took one look at the hives and the still very red infusion mark from my first chemo trip and went to fetch the doctor, the real one not an on call one, oh my.
The lady in the lab had confirmed my information that I had found on the internet about the cause of my infection and said they didn’t like patients knowing stuff like that. Well why not were all human and we all make mistakes.
The doctor quickly rushed in and out and then in again with his prescription for prednisone, great more steroids, this is the one that makes you really fat, I had read all about this one too. Hives and breathing problems associated with them can be very dangerous so I had no choice but to start the unwanted regiment. Ug. He looked at the still red mark on my arm and suggested we have a port surgically put in. Why? With only three more treatments to go and three more days before Christmas? I suggested we try one more time the old fashion way and if another infection happens then I would agree to the port. I felt proud of myself, I finally had spoke up and he agreed with me for once.

No comments: