Sunday, January 16, 2011

To The Wig Shop


I had talked with a friendly lady at a wig shop just in case I might possible need to purchase one. The thought of wearing a wig didn’t appeal to me at all, it seemed it would be itchy and uncomfortable, and could you imagine the wind blowing it to the side or maybe completely off your head. It just felt like people would know it wasn’t real. So I made an appointment to visit her shop on Friday December 10. My daughter and I were going wig shopping, not my idea of a shopping trip but then this was the first time in a long time I didn’t feel like any shopping trip at all. Christmas shopping should have been on my agenda, but this year looked like a lot of gift cards to me.
So the doctor had written me a prescription for a cranial prostheses, I guess this is another name for a wig. I had been instructed to never call it a wig to the insurance company, that would make it cosmetic and as we all know insurance companies just don’t pay for cosmetic stuff.
I wish I had felt better shopping for wigs but I did find four that I took home that day. Yes 4, the girl that didn’t want any bought a shoulder length, a shaggy one, and then a short one and of all things a long straight pink one. Don’t ask me why it was pretty and pink and you know how I feel about pink now that it’s ok and I have accepted my breast cancer. I actually wore one home that day, it was the longest one that looked most like my hair before I had to cut it. I acted really strong the day I cut my hair, I told everyone it was just hair, but I was screaming inside, it had taken me forever to grow, I loved how it felt on my back and the way I could where an up do, I was really going to miss it.

No comments: