Sunday, January 16, 2011

Chemo, Round Two


December 22, 2010 yea, chemo day, not really! Time to do this again, really I was kind of excited, after today I would be at the half way mark! I was ready to get it done and after my treatment I had an appointment with the doctor. I had my little pad with questions ready. All the things that I could think of I had written down, not to mention some natural things I wanted to take to see if I might feel better during my chemo treatment.
And then there she was, the same chemo nurse as last time. When she saw the mark on my arm she asks who my last nurse had been. Mmm, It was you, she went to get another nurse to look at my arm, the new nurse proceeded to say, “she needs a port” I never let on that I knew it was because of her placement, no need to make someone feel bad about their work, but boy was she careful this time. I wasn’t treated very nicely by the chemo nurses that day. I had read on the internet that if I ate ice chips while I was receiving the chemo it would help with the mouth sores. When I ask for the ice chips they proceeded to tell me they didn’t have any. Well the last time I was here you gave me ice water and it had ice chips in it. I was then told my nurse was a floating nurse and just didn’t know where to get them. OK! When I ask for a second cup of ice she just ignored me, when I ask again, another nurse delivered. Now I may sound like I’m being winey but, I am being winey! But the good news was, the ice chips worked, I ended up with just a couple mouth sores the second time around.
Then it was time to see the oncologist himself. He walked in wearing his designer suit as usually, that might not sound very nice of me, but where was his white jacket? He always had on some fancy suit! And why not, once I saw the first chemo bill he can afford to wear designer suits!
My husband and daughter were siting in the room with me and this doctor was very happy, he was on his way to Palm Desert for the holiday and I was his last patient before he was out of there. I’m not sure he answered one of my questions that day, he had a good laugh with my husband about the organic remedy I had presented and made a rude remark about my weight to my family as if I wasn’t there. ( I wanted to give him some steroids and see how his life went). I did need to know why my hands and feet were going numb, my hands were so painful and had started to peal from the finger tip down. He simply answered; it’s too soon for that to be happening? But it was?

1 comment:

Rachel LaBranche said...

I could add that it was exhausting to just sit and watch what u were going through. I was worn out just soaking up all the information, procedures, questions and events as an observer and support system. What an overwhelming time. Praise God we have each other to make it through the trials and tribulations.