Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Chemo Curls

Chemo Curls 


I have hair; it’s really different hair, not at all like it used to be. When it first started to come in it seemed normal but very soft and new. Now that it is between two and three inches long it has started to curl? My first thought was how much I wish my mom were alive to see this. I can remember when we were little girls; she must have always wanted us to have curls because she always gave us perms. I can still remember the smell.

I had heard this might happen but wanted to understand why, so I found an article that explained this strange part of treatment. Chemotherapy not only changes your body chemistry, it can also have an effect on the texture of your hair. This means when your hair does return, it may be different from the hair you once knew. When your post-chemotherapy hair is curlier than you remember, it is called “chemo curls”. Because chemotherapy drugs have also penetrated the roots of your hair, and will continue to do so as long as the drugs are in your system, I may need to get used to curly hair for awhile. Chemo treatments may also affect the color of your hair but normal hair should return in six to twelve months.

Some I have talked to say they still just wear wigs and hat because they don’t like the color or the curls. Not me, I’m so happy to have hair again it can come in any way or color it wants. I didn’t like being bald, it’s just not my style

1 comment:

klarissa said...

My aunt went thru Chemo too. She was one of those people who would rather where hats too, But to me she was still beautiful. And I'm pretty sure with or with out hair you would still be beautiful too. people that go thru Chemo are very strong people. And I would like to thank people like you. =D look at it sideways. its a happy face.. thank you beautiful, amazing stranger for going thru such a huge amount of pain and being so strong.