Sunday, January 16, 2011

The Emergency Room


The next day I noticed the red spot on my arm had started to get larger and seemed to be moving up my arm. I called my daughter and ask her to come over and take a look, we decided if it were to get any bigger we would call the on call doctor again because of course it was the weekend again. The next day the red mark had moved half way up my arm, this thing was two inches wide and about four or more inches long, it was bright red by now and was starting to blister, what was this?
My doctor worked out of Gig Harbor which can be quite a little drive and so the on call doctor said to just go to my local emergency room, sounded like a little infection that would do fine with antibiotics.
The emergency room was filled with sick people, not where I wanted to be. I had my mask on and still didn’t feel comfortable; I request a room right away and explained the chemo. Nothing they could do for me they were busy, I’m happy it was a nice night out we waited outside until they could find me a room.
The emergency room doctor seemed at a loss, he explained that he really hadn’t seem chemo patients and didn’t know what we had going on. I gave him the doctor on calls number and he worked with him. They soon had an IV in place and stated an antibiotic. In the week that fallowed I learned that the nurse that had placed the IV needle in my arm had not done it correctly and the chemo chemicals had burned my skin and caused an infection.

No comments: