Sunday, January 16, 2011

Another Mammogram


The first day of the new quarter of school had arrived and I knew it was going to be a tuff and exciting quarter, this was the last of my classes and then I could be on my way to starting a new chapter in my life. Who would have thought at 55 years old I would be starting a new career.
After getting my books and attending my classes I hurried to my appointment at the Breast Center. I hated going to that place, it always gave me such an uneasy feeling but today I was alright, I had some kind of confidence that it was just a cyst.
After the mammogram they placed me in room for an ultrasound, I had been through this one before. This time it was different, the doctor acted like he had found something, it angered me. I wanted to say you didn’t find anything bucko, I found it, quit being so proud of yourself. What he did next was alarming, when he started running the ultrasound instrument into my armpit and up my arm, I knew what he was looking for. He was looking at my lymph nodes to see if I had cancer that had spread, and I knew that’s what he was doing. I ask what he was looking at and he gave me very little information, and I knew he was very certain he had found cancer.
I still refused to believe it. The next step was to have a biopsy and then I would know for certain just what this lump was?

No comments: