Saturday, January 22, 2011

Hats


January 22, 2011

I never like to wear hats; I’m just not a hat kind of girl. First of all just like a wig they seem to be itchy and just not comfortable. Don’t get me wrong, when it snowing or just really cold outside I’ll wear a hat to keep my ears warm. I’m talking about an everyday hat or to just make a fashion statement hat, not a Mary Jane thing!
The day I found out I had to do the big C my daughter and I went to the mall to look at hats. I felt like hats were going to be a better choice than wigs although I bought a wig from a kiosk in the mall that night that turned to look awful on me. Joel’s wife loved it and she looks really cute in it, she even wears it on an occasion, I think she likes wigs. Now of course that was before I learned to call it cranial poetesses.
We didn’t have a clue about what kind of hats to buy but we thought we did. We spent the next couple hours trying on hats and bought six or seven cute hats that would turn out to be pretty useless. Being the middle of the winter we found lots of nice warm knit hat in different colors and styles and a couple cute caps.
The day I gave in and had my head shaved I tried on the hats and realized how hot it would be to have to wear a winter hat all day, I had one the fit loosely and was bearable. What was I going to do now? I decided that I would hide in the house and then quickly decided that wasn’t a good option.
I got on line and looked up chemo hats and found there’s a whole lot of people selling hats to cancer patients. They make all kinds and their not just any hats, they’ve been designed for bald heads and to cover the bald head and be comfortable. So I paid a little extra to get them shipped faster and waited.
During my chemo treatment my cousin came to visit and brought a gift, a much needed gift. She had made me some hats, I was so happy to have something I could wear now that was not only cute but comfortable. They were made of a really soft warm fleece, the kind your pajama bottoms are made of only softer.
The UPS man soon arrived and delivered the hats that I have now learned to call head covers. I tried them all on and was happy with most of them but I still wasn’t thrilled with the Idea of having to wear a hat all the time. My face is just not a hat face if that makes any sense at all but what were my choices at this point, I quickly decided I had better get used to it. The other option would be to just walk around bald headed, I have a nice round head and God blessed me with little ears but being bald gives me a naked feeling and not to mention its really cold. I know lots of bald men and not one of them let on how cold it is to be bald, I wonder why? I think it could be because they didn’t lose their hair all at once.
I bought a few really cute hats from the wig shop but they were priced so outrageous that I have continued to by my hats from the online shop called Head Covers. So when the day comes that my hair has returned and I no longer need hats, I think there will be a couple that I will never part with, I might even where them sometimes. The rest I will donate to the place that I get my chemo treatments so that someone who needs a hat will have lots to choose from.

3 comments:

Sometimes_Carol said...

I too don't care for hats.. even though Jerrod says I look cute in them I just can't get used to them.

Love that you already have a plan for when you don't need your hats!!

Rachel LaBranche said...

My favorite look on u is when u wear one of the head wrap-hats with your large hoop earrings. U are so beautiful; big eye lashes and baby blues pop :)

MJ said...

Isn’t it funny that with all the hair loss I still have eyebrows and eyelashes? I was told they too would go away but so far so good, and I guess if they do leave me I have eye brow pencils and fake eye lashes to fall back on. Thanks to all who visit my blog and leave such loving comments!